VaseArtist(s)Louis Comfort TiffanyObject Creation Datecirca 1892-1896Medium & Supportglass with silver luster and brown and amber striationsDimensions
3 3/16 x 3 5/16 x 3 7/16 in. (8 x 8.4 x 8.6 cm);3 3/16 x 3 5/16 x 3 7/16 in. (8 x 8.4 x 8.6 cm)Subject matter
Henry and Lousine Havemeyer were active collectors of the hand-made, iridescent glass made by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Tiffany had been known for making leaded windows since the late 1870s, but only began to make blown-glass vessels in the early 1890s—not long after his work on the Havemeyer house in New York. Tiffany’s term for this opulent glasswork was Favrile (a term derived from the Old English work fabrile, meaning “handmade”); Tiffany obtained a patent for the richly colored and iridescent
Favrile glass in 1894.
Working with Tiffany to select outstanding pieces, the Havemeyers amassed an impressive collection of Tiffany’s Favrile glass; much of it was donated by the family to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Nearly all of the Tiffany glass in the University of Michigan’s collection was purchased at auction in 1930, along with the architectural fragments, by Emil Lorch, University of Michigan's Dean of the College of Architecture and Design.Physical Description
This small bottle consists of orange and green iridescent glass with a brown pointed leaf or blade design. The bottle has been pinched in at the sides.Primary Object Classification Decorative Arts Primary Object TypeglassCollection AreaWesternRights
If you are interested in using an image for a publication, please visit http://umma.umich.edu/request-image
for more information and to fill out the online Image Rights and Reproductions Request Form.