Advanced Search

K-12 Educator
K-12 Student
Museum Visitor
UMMA Docent
UMMA Staff
University Faculty
University Student
Between and Mortarboard


UMMA Object Specific Fields






Query builder

Results for On display?:on; Current location:UMMA Gallery Location ➔ AMH, 1st floor ➔ 102 (Richard and Rosann Noel Gallery)

23 UMMA Objects (page 1/2)
Results Per Page Sort by

This small carved boxwood cross is divided on each face into five compartments containing Christian religious scenes. The cross is set in a stand decorated with mother-of-pearl and green glass-paste stones.
Greek
Sanctification cross with scenes from the life of Christ and the Virgin Mary and the Evangelists
1650 – 1800
Bequest of Baroness Matilda Ledyard von Ketteler
1961/1.177
This sculpture represents an angel bending slightly toward the left with his head tilted downward. Carved slots in his back would have held his wings, and the figure has lost his forearms and hands as well as his legs below the knees.
French (French (culture or style))
Angel
1295 – 1305
Gift of the Friends of the University of Michigan Museum of Art for the Paul Leroy Grigaut Memorial Collection
1969/2.157
The body of this cylindrical censer is decorated with eight columns spaced at regular intervals. The lid of the censer consists of an openwork dome divided into sections by eight vertical ribs that converge at its apex. An arched horizontal band intersects the midpoint of the ribs, and these eight junctures are marked with a projecting bird that holds a small bronze ball dangling from its beak. Two segments of the dome are decorated with Maltese crosses while another two feature curved plant forms. The apex is surmounted by a finial comprised of a globe topped by a Maltese cross on which a bird holding a piece of fruit perches.
Coptic;Egyptian
Censer with Maltese crosses, birds, and columns
500 – 699
Museum Purchase
1960/2.4

French (French (culture or style))
Capital with vines
1125 – 1150
Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, CT, Bequest of Henry Schnakenberg
LTL2009.2.2

French (French (culture or style))
Diptych
14th century
LTL2009.5.1
A lunette-shaped panel composed of red, blue, white, brownish purple and yellowish brown stained glass joined together by lead cames depicting a seraph. Four leafy fronds, taken from another medieval window, have been inserted here between the seraph's head and shoulders. The panel is the upper half of a roundel originally installed in the west rose window of Reims Cathedral.
French (French (culture or style))
Seraph, half of a medallion from the west rose window of Reims Cathedral
1280 – 1310
Museum Purchase made possible by the Friends of the Museum of Art
1979/1.161

Baptismal Basin with Lamb of God ('Agnus Dei')
1567 – 1632
The Paul Leroy Grigaut Memorial Collection
1969/2.92

French (French (culture or style))
Capital with vines and mask
1125 – 1150
Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, CT, Bequest of Henry Schnakenberg
LTL2009.2.1
This painted panel depicts an intimate domestic setting consisting of a bedchamber with a fireplace and a smaller vaulted antechamber that opens out on a garden. A haloed woman wearing a white veil rests in bed, having recently given birth. She leans to her right as she reaches toward a basin held by an attendant and looks across the room to the infant who is held on the lap of another servant. A halo also encircles the head of the child and a pair of angels fly above her. Several other attendants and midwives bustle about the room, while another woman, more richly clad than the servants, gazes on the child from her seat at the foot of the bed. In the antechamber sits a haloed man in a long white beard, who leans forward to hear news of the birth from the child standing in front of him. A companion sits behind him and a servant passes through the door into the bedchamber.
Sano di Pietro
The Nativity of the Virgin
1448 – 1452
Museum purchase made possible by the Thirtieth Anniversary Project and the Friends of the Museum of Art
1977/2.1
This pair of finely carved bust-length figures depicts two men in ecclesiastical garb. On the right appears an older figure who wears elaborate vestments and a papal tiara with a book in his left hand. His deeply lined and wrinkled face conveys a patient wisdom and authority as he stares directly ahead. His more youthful companion, dressed in a simpler collared robe and brimless cap, glances introspectively aside. He grasps an unfurled scroll in his left hand and a diminutive lion stares out from its perch on his left shoulder.
Atelier of J
Busts of Saints Jerome and Gregory
1495 – 1505
Museum Purchase
1958/1.59
This bronze light fixture consists of a central circular celestial motif from which extend twelve arms in a radial pattern. Six of these arms, embellished with maltese crosses, end in omega-shaped terminals. These decorated arms alternate with six unadorned arms that terminate in rings designed to hold glass oil lamps. The entire disk is suspended from three bronze chains joined to a large hook.
Coptic;Egyptian
Polycandelon for six oil lamps
6th century
Museum Purchase
1965/2.54
1 2
Loading…